Monday, March 2, 2009

Psycho Bread Day


I made bread today because Monday is bread day. We make our own bread because it's much more nutrtious (and tasty). On a good day I will make 6 loaves. Sometimes I have made double that. Today I was a bit psycho - I couldn't stop - and I made 11 loaves of bread and 16 loaves of pita bread. We freeze most of it and eat it over a 1-2 week period. I have never made pita bread before, but figured I'd try it. They seemed a bit flat because I made the mistake of using 100% whole wheat, like I do for regular bread. Oh well, I concluded they aren't my favorite type of bread, but we can eat them. Not sure what to put in them... any ideas? Actually, I probably can't put anything in them because they're too flat. LOL! Gotta go convince my kids that pita bread is a fantastic snack! I just need to add PB&J and they'll never know the difference. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

is it a secret recipe??? i am always up for trying new recipes now that we have a serious, top of the line wheat grinder. looks yummy. this is jessica, from the ames ward by the way. your family is beautiful. did you see the old pics i put on the ames ward facebook page???

Anonymous said...

Chicken salad in the pitas. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Dip the pitas in hummus. Will you teach me to make bread?

Anonymous said...

Jessica-Nothing special about the recipe. However, to make light,fluffy bread in this quantity (and 100% whole wheat) I had to break down and get a nice bread kneader (I recommend Bosch or Electrolux DLX-that's mine). And of course the wheat must be freshly ground. I enjoyed those photos a lot and even saved some. :)


Marianne-yes, I can teach you, but refer to the above paragraph to see if you're really interested. ;)

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed you make your own bread. You are so domestic:) I have a kitchenaid but wish I had a bosch. The kitchenaid doesn't make big batches well. I haven't heard of the Electrolux DLX. I'll have to look it up on the internet. Happy baking!

Anonymous said...

While I love my DLX, I'm unsure whether the price differential over the Bosch Universal is worth it. I hear the DLX will hold 32 cups of flour, but I really can make 6 big loaves max at one time or the dough flies everywhere.