Thursday, March 19, 2009

Passing on the OCD Genes

As early as age 5, I used to periodically take every toy, article of clothing, and knick-knack from around my room and pile them on my bed. Then I would dust my room, maybe move the furniture, and then put everything back very neatly. Yes, I was kind of obsessive compulsive, at least for a kid. (And maybe I still am, for a grown-up).

This week we started a detailed after-school job chart (because I'm tired of doing all the work and I want the kids to appreciate how much mess they really can make). All the boys have a job after school, including emptying trash, scrubbing a sink or toilet, or arranging their closet or drawers. Today Azael was supposed to arrange his drawers and closet. He was so excited that he started this morning before school. He wouldn't let me come in his room, but kept saying he had a surprise for me. I went in and he had sorted his pants and later put them nicely in his drawers. See his little proud smirk?


He even re-folded all the shirts.
Only a mother could love this moment so much. I imagined Azael grown up one day, on his own, with beautifully organized drawers. His wife will be so grateful... This happy story doesn't end here. Azael decided to rainbow-order all the kids' dishes in the cupboard:
It was a good day. I saw a trait I didn't know was there.
I do have two questions:
1. Will this last?
2. What other hidden traits have yet to be revealed?
There is certainly never a dull moment in my life. I love it!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

His future wife will DEFINITELY appreciate his mother's teachings :) I feel like every time I put away laundry, I have to refold half of Doug's T-Shirt drawer to get the freshly-laundered shirts to fit in there! Frustrations from a fellow-OCD person :) Great job, Azael!