Friday, January 16, 2009

Outside Play



Our kids have had a blast playing in all 79 inches of snow (yes, we shattered last year's record for snow, and no, we haven't been out in a few days due to the extreme cold). Our backyard borders on a city greenway. We even have a hill where our kids can sled right out into the park. Last week, the park was covered with a sheet of ice, so Ephraim spent 10 minutes slipping back up the hill to show me his "ice crystal." Wow, Ephraim, I bet that could power your entire Lego fleet! Our roads weren't plowed for about 24 hours, so I allowed our kids to have free run of the neighborhood (2 block radius) that day. They went to a cul-de-sac and built forts with the neighbor kids Drew, Devin, & George. Our neighborhood is full of kids, and with the park in our backyard, there is no end of friends to play with back there. Forts, snowball fights, sledding, more forts... Azael even decided to write his name in snow on the driveway. Clever! Whoever wants to complain about Wisconsin weather needs to remember all the fun kids can have. I love all this snow... it reminds me of the fun I had in the snow when I was little. Needless to say, when all the fun was over everyone had some nice rosy cheeks (and snotty noses) when they came inside... Time for hot chocolate!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll remember that next year when my baby is bigger and I'm convinced he won't freeze to death if I take him outside for more than five minutes.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking "happy thoughts" for us that next winter we'll never drop below 20 degrees. :)