Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Crafty When I Need to Be

This is a time when I really feel I deserve some type of medal or A+ for my efforts as a mom. Azael came home last week and said, "I need a cow costume by next Monday. The cow has to be white." Great. I researched the options and realized I would have to pull something together. I purchased white sweat pants, a white hat, and lots of felt and constructed a tail and a cool cow hat (pictured here). I was proud of myself. The whole thing took me about 4 hours, including the shopping and research, which is no small chunk of time in my busy, busy day. Mystery Man saw the hat and almost shouted in surprise and excitement, "You MADE this? Wow!" That was the ultimate compliment.


The same day Azael brought home a "cow costume" from school, which some teacher had pulled together. It was essentially a converted easter bunny costume. The hat looked like a dalmation puppy/bunny combination because they had painted black spots on it. Really bad. Guess which costume Azael chose? Not mine. He said, "Mom, it would be like I'm wearing a hat of the character instead of actually being IN character." The difference? The spotted dalmation/easter bunny thing buttoned under his chin, which I guess is much more "in character" (assuming he was trying to look like a puppy instead of a cow).  I definitely felt resentful and I'm still trying to figure out what lesson I should take from this: never to help my children? Not sure, but I still think the hat is cool and now I have something awesome to wear for Halloween next year.

No comments: