Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ephraim, The Naturalist

One afternoon after school, I decided to run to the store and pick up some annuals for our flower pots. While we checked out with our plants, Ephraim asked the cashier, "Do you have Jack-in-the-Pulpit?" They didn't. But the cashier and another woman in line behind us were very impressed. The woman said, "Most adults don't know that plant, let alone a little boy!"

A week later I accompanied Ephraim on a field trip to a nature preserve here in town and discovered his knowledge of woodland plants is even more impressive than I knew. While we walked around the park, Ephraim and his several of his classmates were able - ON THEIR OWN, MIND YOU! - to identify the following (and even more I can't remember):

Mayapple
Bluebells
Bloodroot
Shooting Star
Trillium
Wild Ginger
Wild Geranium
Goldenseal

I thanked the teacher profusely and inwardly vowed to plant some or all of these plants in our woods.... as soon as I kill all the invasive garlic mustard plants that have taken over.

Ephraim and some classmates checking out a cool tree.


Ephraim and best friend, Tanner


1 comment:

Valerie said...

Wow! what a smart little kid! good job Ephraim!