Today at church, I went to class with 3 kids straggling along behind me.
Lorelai had a green colored runny nose,
preventing her from attending nursery.
Ephraim had been asked to leave class because he couldn't
sit still (incidentally, his teacher is Mystery Man).
And, of course, Jane was with us.
The four of us sat down near the back of the room,
right next to one of my favorite friends, Carla.
I leaned over to her and mentioned my tag-alongs:
"I must look really funny with all these kids in the adult class.
I feel like the mom who can't..." and I paused, trying to find the words.
Carla said it like only a really good friend can,
causing me to laugh to myself for the rest of the day:
"Like the Little Mother Who Couldn't."
That's me.
And I'm OK with that.
And I'm OK with that.
Sometimes there's so much you can't do,
that you just have to laugh. And laugh. And laugh.
Oh, the movies I could make or the books I could write about
this roller coaster called life.
I'm happy to finally have a title.
It's one to mull over again and again, savoring it on the tongue.
Or a great first line for a new 12 step program for moms:
"Hello, everyone. My name is Jen,
a.k.a. The Little Mother Who Couldn't,
and I confess that I can't do it all."
What a relief to have that out in the open! If any of you were under the mistaken impression that I'm good at everything, it's simply not true.
For example, I can't sew. Hate it!
And I yell too much.
And I yell too much.
I'm also not very good at smiling. Trying to improve. If you ever thought I looked grumpy, I might have been, but it's more likely I was just thinking. I have the unfortunate habit of frowning when I think. And the other unfortunate habit of thinking too much.
This train of thought brings me to another can't.
This week, I can't move,
at least not alone.
No way, no how.
Too many kids, too much stuff, too little sleep.
So this
Little Mother Who Couldn't
asked for help.
So many people have responded with offers
to watch kids, to move furniture, to clean, and so on,
that I have been humbled.
Humility is a funny thing.
When you come face to face with your
utter weakness and reliance on others,
you simultaneously come face to face with
POWER.
The power of Goodness.
The power of Love.
The power of God.
And with the Power of God, manifested
through the love and service of good friends,
I can.
They say Love can move Mountains.
Now I know Love can move Me.
Thank you for your help, and love, everyone!


6 comments:
Love it! This post reminds me of all the reasons I like you so much! :)
I want to attend the "can't do it all anonymous" meeting! incidently, when I was younger, I thought they were called "alcoholics unanimous" as in, we are ALL alchoholics and no non-alcoholics were allowed. Good thing my 15 year old self was never in charge of a 12 step program.
Valerie, Alcoholics Unanimous CRACKS me up!
Young-who are you? I probably like you too if I knew for sure who you are. LOL! :)
Jen, I love to read your blog! You make me smile and laugh so much. You're so creative and amazing and you do SO much! Much more than what you don't do. But I know how you feel, or at least how you felt with only 3, because I think it's crazy now, I can't imagine adding 2 kiddos! Your new house looks gorgeous!! I'm so happy for you guys!
Wow, what an awesome post (I'll have to read it one more time I liked it so much!). So glad you asked for help and received so much of it.
Jenn- loved this post!! thanks so much for sharing that wonderful insight!!! i so would join that 12 step program!!! you are awesome!!!
Post a Comment